Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Berto
Lurker
Lurker
Mr Berto

Seller Positive Feedback : 0

DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Empty
PostSubject: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 9:05 am

Use a Power drill with a wire brush attachments. This will help cut some time down from you sanding your bike frame.DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Wirebr10DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Subfra10

What I do is after using chemical stripper & scraping the paint away. Whatever doesn't come off from the chemical stripper.
I use a power drill with a wire brush attachment.

DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Pic_1010
Back to top Go down
Trem
Lurker
Lurker
Trem

Seller Positive Feedback : 1

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 10:11 am

Yup, these are pretty awesome. Mi padre has a table grinder out in the back and one of the sides has a wire brush disc. Not the most convenient, though, trying to hold my dad's old frame up to the table grinder that was fixed onto the desk... but I never thought of a drill attachment. What I like about these is that no matter how much pressure you apply, it's still just a wire brush, so there's no real harm you're doing to the frame at all.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/volta
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

Seller Positive Feedback : 10

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 10:41 am

wow never thought of this... Good work!
Back to top Go down
https://fixies.forumotion.com
Mr Berto
Lurker
Lurker
Mr Berto

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 11:04 pm

Trem wrote:
Yup, these are pretty awesome. Mi padre has a table grinder out in the back and one of the sides has a wire brush disc. Not the most convenient, though, trying to hold my dad's old frame up to the table grinder that was fixed onto the desk... but I never thought of a drill attachment. What I like about these is that no matter how much pressure you apply, it's still just a wire brush, so there's no real harm you're doing to the frame at all.

Yeah you're right it doesn't harm the frame at all. FYI wear safety goggles because the little wires comes off. I found some stuck to my forehead and cheek lol!
Back to top Go down
Mr Berto
Lurker
Lurker
Mr Berto

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 11:05 pm

Mandrew wrote:
wow never thought of this... Good work!
Thank You!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 11:29 pm

from the looks of it... can you polish the steel to make it look nice and shiny? without painting it? Maybe I can make a iron man concept Smile
Back to top Go down
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

Seller Positive Feedback : 6

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/13/2010, 12:09 am

I do that only with an angle grinder. Just gotta watch for all the shrapnel it kicks up at you.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dirtybobbysbikes
Mr Berto
Lurker
Lurker
Mr Berto

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/13/2010, 12:48 am

Mandrew wrote:
from the looks of it... can you polish the steel to make it look nice and shiny? without painting it? Maybe I can make a iron man concept Smile

Yeah it gets shinny with the wire bush. I think it will work if you use a buffer attachments, that will make it really nice & shinny. I think that would look really good. And put a clear coat to protect it. Only one thing the welding will show but if your welding job on your frame looks good, go for it.
Back to top Go down
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/13/2010, 7:50 am

Yeah that's how i did this

DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. L_81d8194859b681fe2e6aa637bef3eed2
Back to top Go down
Mr Berto
Lurker
Lurker
Mr Berto

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/13/2010, 9:05 pm

DirtyBobbysBikes wrote:
Yeah that's how i did this

DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. L_81d8194859b681fe2e6aa637bef3eed2

Sweet! Nice Job! Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/14/2010, 1:17 am

You can do that with any steel frame right?
Back to top Go down
Mr Berto
Lurker
Lurker
Mr Berto

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/14/2010, 2:34 am

Mandrew wrote:
You can do that with any steel frame right?
Yes
Back to top Go down
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/14/2010, 6:30 am

Mr Berto wrote:

Sweet! Nice Job! Smile

Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jeffshmeff
Guru
Guru
jeffshmeff

Seller Positive Feedback : 4

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/14/2010, 6:34 am

Mr Berto wrote:
Use a Power drill with a wire brush attachments. This will help cut some time down from you sanding your bike frame.DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Wirebr10DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Subfra10

What I do is after using chemical stripper & scraping the paint away. Whatever doesn't come off from the chemical stripper.

What was the chemical stripper you used and how did you scrape the paint off?
Back to top Go down
Mr Berto
Lurker
Lurker
Mr Berto

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/14/2010, 10:52 am

jeffshmeff wrote:
Mr Berto wrote:

Klean-Strip Premium Stripper Aerosol & grade 3 Steel wool.
DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Spray10
Back to top Go down
jeffshmeff
Guru
Guru
jeffshmeff

Seller Positive Feedback : 4

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 8:39 am

Mr Berto wrote:
jeffshmeff wrote:
Mr Berto wrote:

Klean-Strip Premium Stripper Aerosol & grade 3 Steel wool.
DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Spray10

Thanks man! I'm gonna try it on my next project
Back to top Go down
Mr Berto
Lurker
Lurker
Mr Berto

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/17/2010, 2:03 am

@ Jeffshmeff FYI: make sure you wear gloves all the time, Klean-Strip Premium Stripper will burn your skin.
Back to top Go down
Mr Berto
Lurker
Lurker
Mr Berto

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/20/2010, 4:50 am

Mandrew wrote:

Mandrew, If you wanted to do a Ironman concept fixed. Why don't you paint the frame Red and paint the fork Gold or Red.? And have some Gold handlebars with Red grips, Gold crankset with Red or Gold? chain and White wheelset with Gold hubs. Red or Gold headset, stem and Gold seat post. And see if you can want a head badge find someone to make a Ironman vinyl sticker in gold. Smile
Back to top Go down
Trem
Lurker
Lurker
Trem

Seller Positive Feedback : 1

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime5/21/2010, 6:52 am

Mr Berto wrote:
Mandrew wrote:

Mandrew, If you wanted to do a Ironman concept fixed. Why don't you paint the frame Red and paint the fork Gold or Red.? And have some Gold handlebars with Red grips, Gold crankset with Red or Gold? chain and White wheelset with Gold hubs. Red or Gold headset, stem and Gold seat post. And see if you can want a head badge find someone to make a Ironman vinyl sticker in gold. Smile
I think anodized light blue hubs would look good as the arc reactor.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/volta
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.   DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIY: Helpful tool for striping your steel frame.
Page 1 of 1