Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DIY: paint your frame!

Go down 
+4
SeahawkSFG
Wiziloe
ziovan
Admin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

Seller Positive Feedback : 10

DIY: paint your frame! Empty
PostSubject: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 6:24 am

Today I painted my frame. And here are some tips and tricks on doing it.

Notes:
-Make sure to clear hard pressure by spraying away from your project a good 1 second should do it. Or... learn the hard way like me and create a big over spray.

-NEVER lay Lacquer paint over Enamel... Better yet, keep Enamel with enamel and lacquer with lacquer paints. I would suggest Lacquer for frames because you would be able to wet sand, polish, wax it.

-Patience is key. Do not rush. Wait for coats and layers to dry. After taping something down WAIT until it is fully dry to take it off. Or... learn the hard way and watch it peel off with some paint on the project. Wah wah...

-I did not use duplicolor this time. I have used it many times before and for some reason their paint starts fading away. So I tried something different this time. Bought it at the local Autozone

DIY: paint your frame! 4455010355_50798d44b6

Original...
DIY: paint your frame! 4455789628_bc416848bb

1)Tape off whatever you need to tape off...
Sand down your frame! I used 320 grit just to flatten the surface. If you do not sand down your frame your paint will most likely chip or peel off easily.

DIY: paint your frame! 4455010441_a14d519caa

2)Primer! Without primer the base color will not stick as good! Make sure you are at least 8-10 inches away when spraying. Go left and Right or up and down and at a steady motioned pace. DO NOT spray the whole thing all at once like you're drawing something. This will lead to an uneven paint job and over spray. I personally do 3 layers of primer. 1 small layer then wait 20-30 mins. Then another layer slightly heavier then wait another 20-30 mins. Then another layer. Just make sure you do not spray to close or spray too much. Let dry for 45mins to an hour.

3)Base coat! So you waited your hour and checked the forum in between the times Very Happy Now its time for the important coat. Do the same thing that you did with the primer. Same drying times. Dont miss any spots! Look under and over!

DIY: paint your frame! 4455010271_2973d65c92

4)Clear Coat! Shiny! Same as step 3. This time keep doing layers and waiting until you run out of clear coat Very Happy

DIY: paint your frame! 4455010235_2d778dbb35

DIY: paint your frame! 4455010157_b9c31085e9

5)Leave it to dry for a good 24 hours! Do not remove tape like I did because it will peel some of the paint on the frame. Do not touch the paint it will leave a finger print.

6)Take a shower pig

Ill post pics once it is fully dry and complete! Before you ask the reason I painted it white again is because I wanted it to look clean without any decals. Thanks for looking!
Back to top Go down
https://fixies.forumotion.com
ziovan
Lurker
Lurker
ziovan

Seller Positive Feedback : 0

PostSubject: Re: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 12:21 pm

good write up
DIY: paint your frame! Jewishcopy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/ziovan?ref=profile
Wiziloe
Lurker
Lurker
Wiziloe

PostSubject: Re: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 12:31 pm

Be careful when u mount yr rims don't scuff the drop outs ... I learned the hard way...
Back to top Go down
SeahawkSFG
n00b
n00b
SeahawkSFG

PostSubject: Re: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 2:01 pm

Nice work! =D
Back to top Go down
poorman
Lurker
Lurker
poorman

PostSubject: Re: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime5/10/2010, 10:47 am

i wish i saw this before i painted mine Laughing

i blew it and i think i'm going to give it another go soon.
Back to top Go down
http://goldmicropenis.tumblr.com
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

Seller Positive Feedback : 10

PostSubject: Re: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime5/10/2010, 11:13 am

poorman wrote:
i wish i saw this before i painted mine Laughing

i blew it and i think i'm going to give it another go soon.

what did you do wrong?
Back to top Go down
https://fixies.forumotion.com
poorman
Lurker
Lurker
poorman

PostSubject: Re: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 2:16 am

you can't tell from the picture but the paint job is pretty spotty. i also don't have a clear coat over it. i want to go with a different color too but i don't know what!

DIY: paint your frame! 1
Back to top Go down
http://goldmicropenis.tumblr.com
Mr Berto
Lurker
Lurker
Mr Berto

PostSubject: Re: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 4:19 am

Nice Work! cheers

Me I let my frame dry for about 72hrs. Or to make sure my paint has cure, after 48hrs I use a blow dryer to the whole frame and let it cool down for a couple hrs Or if it really hot outside, I put my frame inside my ruck on top of trash bag for a day, it's like baking it : ) It help cure the paint too. I'm just lucky enough to have an Honda Element so there's no carpet or fabric touching the frame.
Back to top Go down
Trem
Lurker
Lurker
Trem

Seller Positive Feedback : 1

PostSubject: Re: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime5/13/2010, 3:44 am

Has anyone tried using any graffiti-specific paint? paints like Molotow/Belton, Montana (german/spanish), Ironlak...

I was thinking about doing my frame up in ironlak's tar black
DIY: paint your frame! Ironlak5001

or one of molotow's coversall tar paints...
DIY: paint your frame! Molotowoutlineblackcove
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/volta
WhatACatchDonny
Lurker
Lurker
WhatACatchDonny

PostSubject: Re: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 12:25 am

Trem wrote:
Has anyone tried using any graffiti-specific paint? paints like Molotow/Belton, Montana (german/spanish), Ironlak...

I was thinking about doing my frame up in ironlak's tar black
DIY: paint your frame! Ironlak5001

or one of molotow's coversall tar paints...
DIY: paint your frame! Molotowoutlineblackcove

I'm going to try Montana soon since I have a bunch of cans laying around my house from other projects. Did you do the ironlak?
Back to top Go down
Trem
Lurker
Lurker
Trem

Seller Positive Feedback : 1

PostSubject: Re: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 12:43 am

Nahh. I asked around on art primo about using bitumen based paint ("tar paint") on painting bicycle frames, and they said not to use it. the paint comes out like tar, so it has somewhat of a sticky finish. they said to just use belton premiums. I was also looking at the MTN 94s... look around on youtube for some videos of the stuff, it looks pretty legit.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/volta
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY: paint your frame!   DIY: paint your frame! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIY: paint your frame!
Page 1 of 1