Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pedal Strike?

Go down 
+2
Paulo
wbfever14
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wbfever14
n00b
n00b
wbfever14

Seller Positive Feedback : 0

Pedal Strike? Empty
PostSubject: Pedal Strike?   Pedal Strike? Icon_minitime8/13/2010, 8:17 am

This is a semi re-post but I need some quick help. I am planning on ordering a Del Paseo track frame from J and B importers and I usually ride a 56cm road bike but I am strongly considering a 53 cm simply because I will be running riser bars. My question is that I am running a big front cog, 52 teeth with 170 crank arms and I am concerned about pedal strike. I have chosen to go with the 53 cm frame because with proper stem and seat height adjustment I feel that it will be more agile. Also a 53 cm may be easier to bail and it seems most of the MASH. death pedal, etc dudes ride frames that are a bit smaller than what they would ride on a typical road bike. Im a bike mechanic so Im not completely retarded but Im no expert on fixed gears and I would really like some help. I will be ordering this frame Monday so any quick help will be graciously taken. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Paulo
Paulo

Seller Positive Feedback : 4

Pedal Strike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pedal Strike?   Pedal Strike? Icon_minitime8/14/2010, 8:21 am

I personally ride 170mm crank arms and I have no problems with pedal strike, but, of course, it's different for every frame. Most people like to go with 165s to be on the safe side, but you lose some of the leverage you'd have on 170s. If you already have 170s, I'd say ride them for awhile, and if you feel like you need to go shorter, then do that later.
Back to top Go down
http://paulodelacruz.tumblr.com
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

Seller Positive Feedback : 6

Pedal Strike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pedal Strike?   Pedal Strike? Icon_minitime8/15/2010, 8:02 am

I am a full time mechanic at my lbs as well. I have 170mm arms on a few bikes, most of which have road geometry. My newest bike has track geo and came with 165mm cranks. Between the taller BB height and the shorter crank arms I can lean it pretty far over without hitting. It spins very well and is really easy to keep the spin going. With the longer arms and road geo it seems easier to climb but isnt as great on the flats IMO. Also wider pedals mean less clearance. The only pair I ever hit was some MKS sylvan touring pedals which are significantly wider than the sylvan tracks or street track pedals.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dirtybobbysbikes
Casbah
n00b
n00b
Casbah

Pedal Strike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pedal Strike?   Pedal Strike? Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 8:54 am

I'm entertaining the idea of getting some bmx pedals and straps.. I can get Shadow Conspiracy pedals for cheap through a relative in the bike business but I'm worried about the pedal strike.. I ride on 165mm cranks..
Back to top Go down
punkbrad
punkbrad

Seller Positive Feedback : 11

Pedal Strike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pedal Strike?   Pedal Strike? Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 7:41 am

pedal strike makes you a better rider...

i recover from it every time, its just you gotta be expecting it and ready to react to it when you dive into a corner.

i ride shadow ravenger pedals with BEAR sTRAPS and the outside corners of my pedals are all ground down from strike.

i ride an XL giant bowery with 175 FSA cranks (cuz im tall) but i got no issues... just get ready to correct the bike when the pedal strikes.
Back to top Go down
Casbah
n00b
n00b
Casbah

Pedal Strike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pedal Strike?   Pedal Strike? Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 8:07 am

punkbrad wrote:

i recover from it every time, its just you gotta be expecting it and ready to react to it when you dive into a corner.

i ride shadow ravenger pedals with BEAR sTRAPS and the outside corners of my pedals are all ground down from strike.

i ride an XL giant bowery with 175 FSA cranks (cuz im tall) but i got no issues... just get ready to correct the bike when the pedal strikes.

Word... I haven't had any trouble with pedal strike and I've leaned in deep on a few turns.. I wouldn't say I'm trying to hit the ground but it's just been a total non issue.. Just a little curious as to what the extra length of the BMX pedals brings..

I'll probably order a set of your bear straps soon Smile
Back to top Go down
punkbrad
punkbrad

Seller Positive Feedback : 11

Pedal Strike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pedal Strike?   Pedal Strike? Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 8:56 am

Casbah wrote:
punkbrad wrote:

Word... I haven't had any trouble with pedal strike and I've leaned in deep on a few turns.. I wouldn't say I'm trying to hit the ground but it's just been a total non issue.. Just a little curious as to what the extra length of the BMX pedals brings..

I'll probably order a set of your bear straps soon Smile

the extra platform on the pedal is minimal to the awesome feel of that big-ass platform under your foot - its WAY better... haha. sure thing, hit me up on the straps, ill kick you 5 bux off... jsut remind me.. Brad.
Back to top Go down
scmalex
Follower
Follower
scmalex

Seller Positive Feedback : 3

Pedal Strike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pedal Strike?   Pedal Strike? Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 10:19 am

Casbah wrote:
Word... I haven't had any trouble with pedal strike and I've leaned in deep on a few turns.. I wouldn't say I'm trying to hit the ground but it's just been a total non issue.. Just a little curious as to what the extra length of the BMX pedals brings...

I rock 175's with a track bb height and i do some very deep turns with bmx pedals without striking, but it really depends on your bb height.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/AlexanderNiknejad
Casbah
n00b
n00b
Casbah

Pedal Strike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pedal Strike?   Pedal Strike? Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 3:29 pm

I think I'll be good to go.. Gonna go pick up some pedals tommorow.

I used to ride my roommate's Bianchi Pista with a track bb and 170's and the strike was horrible, they'd hit the wheel and the ground all the time.
Back to top Go down
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

Seller Positive Feedback : 6

Pedal Strike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pedal Strike?   Pedal Strike? Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 3:49 am

I've got a set of odyseey PCs with soma 2 gates and pake space straps on my "tarck" bike. I havent hit a pedal on that bike, but then I also don't really ride that one very long or hard. That bike only gets sessioned. Been riding with SPDs again and i do like being clipped in. Once i have some extra cash again i'll probably pop for a new road pedal/shoe setup.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dirtybobbysbikes
Sponsored content

Pedal Strike? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pedal Strike?   Pedal Strike? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pedal Strike?
Page 1 of 1