Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser

Go down 
+5
paulmitchel
jeffshmeff
DirtyBobbysBikes
Paulo
Admin
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

Seller Positive Feedback : 10

Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Empty
PostSubject: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 3:20 am

I've had drops before from the stockie and it seemed like I RARELY used the drop part. I do like the look of it though. I then went on to get a shallow drop bar from eighthinch. It was comfortable but not my taste for riding down the whole time since the middle part where the stem is started curving early so I couldn't put my hands there. I now have a riser bar which was cut shorter(thanks to Paulo's dad). I couldn't be any happier with it. But now when I go up hills I don't get the leverage I had with my drops. Im thinking of trying out the bull horns we'll see what happens.

Which one do you like?
Back to top Go down
https://fixies.forumotion.com
Paulo
Paulo

Seller Positive Feedback : 4

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 6:57 am

Mandrew wrote:
I've had drops before from the stockie and it seemed like I RARELY used the drop part. I do like the look of it though. I then went on to get a shallow drop bar from eighthinch. It was comfortable but not my taste for riding down the whole time since the middle part where the stem is started curving early so I couldn't put my hands there. I now have a riser bar which was cut shorter(thanks to Paulo's dad). I couldn't be any happier with it. But now when I go up hills I don't get the leverage I had with my drops. Im thinking of trying out the bull horns we'll see what happens.

Which one do you like?

Bullhorns are great for climbing. Lots of leverage. Just make sure you don't get a set that's too narrow for you.
Back to top Go down
http://paulodelacruz.tumblr.com
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

Seller Positive Feedback : 6

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 8:18 am

I like them all really. I tend to favor bullhorns and risers over drops usually. I recently setup some flat bars with some shorty bar ends in a very Graeme Obree kind of way. Lots of leverage and pretty comfy too.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dirtybobbysbikes
Paulo
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 8:25 am

DirtyBobbysBikes wrote:
I like them all really. I tend to favor bullhorns and risers over drops usually. I recently setup some flat bars with some shorty bar ends in a very Graeme Obree kind of way. Lots of leverage and pretty comfy too.

Hehe, do you get aero like Obree does?
Back to top Go down
http://paulodelacruz.tumblr.com
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

Seller Positive Feedback : 6

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 8:27 am

Quote :
Hehe, do you get aero like Obree does?

Haha, no superman for me.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dirtybobbysbikes
jeffshmeff
Guru
Guru
jeffshmeff

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime5/3/2010, 6:45 am

Really depends on what kind of riding you do. I have a threadless fork and stem so changing bars is pretty easy for me to do, compared to a threaded stem (unless the faceplate comes off). I've used each kind of bars for about 2 months or more.

I personally like bullhorns and risers the best. They are more practical if you're not racing or trying to get aerodynamic. Track drops look really really good on track bikes though. Depends on what look you're trying to go with your bike, how often you ride, how long your rides are, and what you're doing on those rides.

I just switched some risers to bullhorns about 3 days ago. Had drops first, then bullhorns, then risers, and now I'm back to bullhorns. I'll try to post some pictures of my bike with the horns on. Got them at the bike swapmeet, 10 bucks!
Back to top Go down
paulmitchel
paulmitchel

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime5/3/2010, 6:53 am

Exactly what jeff said. Depends on your riding style.

I love drops. But that's not practical on all my riding. So switching up isn't a no no. So it doesn't hurt to have a veriety of bars. I have all three debated and also a dildo bar and a home made 22.2 straight bar. I'm enjoying those two also... no homo
Back to top Go down
jeffshmeff
Guru
Guru
jeffshmeff

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime5/3/2010, 6:55 am

paulmitchel wrote:
Exactly what jeff said. Depends on your riding style.

I love drops. But that's not practical on all my riding. So switching up isn't a no no. So it doesn't hurt to have a veriety of bars. I have all three debated and also a dildo bar and a home made 22.2 straight bar. I'm enjoying those two also... no homo

Hahah. cheers
Back to top Go down
punkbrad
punkbrad

Seller Positive Feedback : 11

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime5/3/2010, 7:00 am

I bought bullhors outta the gate and i liked them, it is a different feel altogether when you are using the bullhorns. i took them off and went risers and i love them. when climbing i dont feel at a loss for torque with the risers, but they are better for climbing i think...

If you want to try mines out i have a pair of 26mm risers with gel tape jsut chillin in my stockpile - they are FS in the fo sale thread as well..

PB.
Back to top Go down
mattamatta
Leader
Leader
mattamatta

Seller Positive Feedback : 1

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime5/3/2010, 10:57 am

I use drops because I use different parts for different things. I do get aero and fast, so the middle and bottom positions on the drops are nice for that. On the track I swap out for the B123A track drops with grips, and leave the brake taped to the road ergo drops I ride with the rest of the time.

Just cruising I'll spend most of the time on the tops or brake hood, of course, but I feel like my bars are so wide that there's plenty of flat space up there to grab different parts. Works for me, and I can pull up on them for hard climbing or acceeration.

As far as climbing and acceleration goes, though, that's where I find nice tight straps comes in handy. With no/weak foot retention, all you have is push down on the pedals and pull up on the bars. It makes such a big difference being able to constantly be pushing with one foot and pulling with the other. The hands just keep me from rotating against that motion, but the legs are really doing circles. It's one of those things where I notice it the most if I try to sprint out of a stop sign with the straps loosened all the way... it's like the majority of my things to crank against are just gone. I feel like that makes more of a difference than the bars, as I don't have to crank on the bars as much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mattthayer.com
C.J.
n00b
n00b
C.J.

Seller Positive Feedback : 0

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime2/27/2011, 2:14 pm

i tend to use my drops for going fast and mashing around town, but now i setup my bike for tricking so i use risers and bmx type bars.
Back to top Go down
Pelagic
n00b
n00b
Pelagic

Seller Positive Feedback : 3

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime3/1/2011, 12:58 am

I've only got about 150 miles on my first and only fixie, but I've found I like the risers for cruising, and the original drops when I'm planning on a longer ride. Gives a few more options, but it puts the bars lower compared to the seat and I'm not sure I like that. Just not in good enough shape yet perhaps!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser   Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drops VS Bullhorns VS Riser
Page 1 of 1