Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question for Gatorskin Users

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rocferd
Lurker
Lurker
rocferd

Seller Positive Feedback : -1

Question for Gatorskin Users Empty
PostSubject: Question for Gatorskin Users   Question for Gatorskin Users Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 12:40 pm

How long did it take for you to skid through your Gators, while skidding with regular frequency? Brakeless riders chime in, especially.
Back to top Go down
Benson
n00b
n00b
Benson

Seller Positive Feedback : 0

PostSubject: Re: Question for Gatorskin Users   Question for Gatorskin Users Icon_minitime1/24/2011, 12:22 pm

Gator Skins are great road tires but are okay for skidding I would recommend Vittoria Randos they feel better and have alot more tire to burn through. They are also cheaper when Gators go like what 50 bucks? I would run Gators as a front.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/gnargnarbenson
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

Seller Positive Feedback : 6

PostSubject: Re: Question for Gatorskin Users   Question for Gatorskin Users Icon_minitime1/24/2011, 1:57 pm

Randos have a lot of meat on them but i think they skid like any other tire. I'm strongly considering some folding gators for my current project. Light and strong.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dirtybobbysbikes
scmalex
Follower
Follower
scmalex

Seller Positive Feedback : 3

PostSubject: Re: Question for Gatorskin Users   Question for Gatorskin Users Icon_minitime1/24/2011, 2:22 pm

gatorskins last awhile compared to many tires, it honeslt depends how often you skid and your gear ratio. when i rode one it lasted around about a month of hilly brakeless riding 4+ days a week

but in my opinion if you want an especially long lasting tire, get a soma everwear or a thickslick. randos are okay, but in my experience they are mostly hype cause the mash guys ride em.

currently i am riding 47x15 (15-30 skid patches) with a specialized mondo in the front for traction and an everwear in the back because i heard good things about them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/AlexanderNiknejad
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

Seller Positive Feedback : 6

PostSubject: Re: Question for Gatorskin Users   Question for Gatorskin Users Icon_minitime1/24/2011, 4:02 pm

scmalex wrote:
randos are okay, but they are mostly hype cause the mash guys ride em.

Truth

Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dirtybobbysbikes
rocferd
Lurker
Lurker
rocferd

Seller Positive Feedback : -1

PostSubject: Re: Question for Gatorskin Users   Question for Gatorskin Users Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 3:40 pm

Thank you for your responses, folks. I wore through my rear Gatorskin in about 2 months and wanted to see if this was the usual lifespan for them. After some internet researching, I've come to find that 2 months is about average when skidding regularly. I was skidding especially frequent because I was in the process of learning skids. I see myself skidding less, now that I know how and will mainly do so only when necessary. Just recently learned whip skids; these are sooooo fun to do and slow you down more than straight-line skids.

I decided I'd give the Soma Everwears a try and picked one up and mounted it on the 12th. I'm continuing to run my front Gatorskin and the set-up seems to work well for me. The Everwears skid well and are holding up really well so far.
Back to top Go down
scmalex
Follower
Follower
scmalex

Seller Positive Feedback : 3

PostSubject: Re: Question for Gatorskin Users   Question for Gatorskin Users Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 9:49 pm

rocferd wrote:
Thank you for your responses, folks. I wore through my rear Gatorskin in about 2 months and wanted to see if this was the usual lifespan for them. After some internet researching, I've come to find that 2 months is about average when skidding regularly. I was skidding especially frequent because I was in the process of learning skids. I see myself skidding less, now that I know how and will mainly do so only when necessary. Just recently learned whip skids; these are sooooo fun to do and slow you down more than straight-line skids.

I decided I'd give the Soma Everwears a try and picked one up and mounted it on the 12th. I'm continuing to run my front Gatorskin and the set-up seems to work well for me. The Everwears skid well and are holding up really well so far.

also don't forget to practice skip stops and the ted shred!
the ted shred (foot on rear tire) saves your life if your chain snaps... it saved me when my lockring stripped.

I like the everwears a lot, but they are very easy to skid, which is not a good thing.
I want to try the Freedom Thickslick cause apparently they last a super long time and have great stopping power.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/AlexanderNiknejad
Benson
n00b
n00b
Benson

Seller Positive Feedback : 0

PostSubject: Re: Question for Gatorskin Users   Question for Gatorskin Users Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 10:24 pm

There is no such thing as a good tire to skid with. Just get the Soma Everaquares those are the only tires made to last for skidding but again not very good traction or grippyness so its kinda dangerous cornering or slick areas
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/gnargnarbenson
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for Gatorskin Users   Question for Gatorskin Users Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question for Gatorskin Users
Page 1 of 1