Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chain makes noise...

Go down 
+4
Paulo
jeffshmeff
Admin
Wiziloe
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wiziloe
Lurker
Lurker
Wiziloe

Seller Positive Feedback : 0

Chain makes noise... Empty
PostSubject: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 8:21 am

So I got some new wheels and now my chain is makin lots of noise, it used to be silent.. Any suggestions on what i should? I moved the crank star like 2-3 milimeters & still lots of noise.. Will this wear my chain down to the point where it will snap?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

Seller Positive Feedback : 10

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 8:37 am

Wiziloe wrote:
So I got some new wheels and now my chain is makin lots of noise, it used to be silent.. Any suggestions on what i should? I moved the crank star like 2-3 milimeters & still lots of noise.. Will this wear my chain down to the point where it will snap?

Usually its because the chain is on too tight. Try giving it some slack and tell us how it is

Last edited by Mandrew on 3/11/2010, 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://fixies.forumotion.com
jeffshmeff
Guru
Guru
jeffshmeff

Seller Positive Feedback : 4

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 11:22 am

Wiziloe wrote:

Could be a couple of things: Chain tension could be it, too tight or too loose. Also it might be the chainline not being straight enough. Are you using the same chainring and cog as before?
Back to top Go down
Wiziloe
Lurker
Lurker
Wiziloe

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 12:04 pm

im using a different cog "17tooth" but the same chainring...my old cog was a 16 tooth..i moved the chainring to the otherside of the part where it bolts on, but it still makes noise..i tried to loosen it and it just doesnt feel right..maybe i need a new crank..
Back to top Go down
Paulo
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 3:02 pm

Well it could also be that your chain needs some cleaning. Or that your wheel isn't on completely straight, which is probably the most annoying thing about putting your rear wheel back on your frame.
Back to top Go down
http://paulodelacruz.tumblr.com
jeffshmeff
Guru
Guru
jeffshmeff

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/11/2010, 3:36 pm

Wiziloe wrote:
im using a different cog "17tooth" but the same chainring...my old cog was a 16 tooth..i moved the chainring to the otherside of the part where it bolts on, but it still makes noise..i tried to loosen it and it just doesnt feel right..maybe i need a new crank..

Did you check if your cog is the correct width for your chain? ie. 1/8" cog for 1/8" chain, 3/32" chain for 3/32" chain.
Back to top Go down
ziovan
Lurker
Lurker
ziovan

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/22/2010, 2:51 am

Lube that chain!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/ziovan?ref=profile
Paulo
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/22/2010, 5:35 am

ziovan wrote:
Lube that chain!

Yep, try this. I lubed my chain yesterday and it quieted down dramatically. If you lube yours and it stays noisy, then at least you know that wasn't the problem...
Back to top Go down
punkbrad
punkbrad

Seller Positive Feedback : 11

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/23/2010, 2:34 am

Cross-chaining is common - there are a few things to look at.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

see if the chain is too tight or loose is the first thing i would try.

If the wheel in is straight in the dropouts then maybe the new cog is not aligned right or its flipped backwards. (like in the second example)

Often the wheel is not straight in the dropouts (like example 3)

check those two probable cases first.

ALWAYS keep the chain lubed. I clean and lube mine once a month and ive never seen rust or buildup. dirty chains are LOUD.

good luck.
Back to top Go down
Wiziloe
Lurker
Lurker
Wiziloe

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/24/2010, 1:15 am

Yea it's #2 and the chain was dirty.. I cleaned and lubed it and it's not so noisy but my chainline is not so straight so it still makes a little noise
Back to top Go down
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

Seller Positive Feedback : 10

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/24/2010, 1:23 am

Paulo lubed my chain last night... Lubing a chain can make the biggest difference!
Back to top Go down
https://fixies.forumotion.com
mattamatta
Leader
Leader
mattamatta

Seller Positive Feedback : 1

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/24/2010, 1:56 am

Mandrew wrote:
Paulo lubed my chain last night... Lubing a chain can make the biggest difference!

Shocked

I must say, this is a new development.

In all seriousness though, man, I still remember last year riding my Fuji around after my roomie helped me clean and lube the chain... felt so buttery smooth after a fresh cleaning.

Gotta get me one of those chain cleaner devices so I can run the chain through it and not have to remove, soak in degreaser, and wipe (the chain). Then I can clean and re-lube obsessively and dangerously frequently!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mattthayer.com
Paulo
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime3/24/2010, 2:18 am

Mandrew wrote:

This doesn't sound right, haha.
Back to top Go down
Trem
Lurker
Lurker
Trem

Seller Positive Feedback : 1

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime5/10/2010, 1:23 pm

For everyone running straight chainlines, but looking for some reliable lube, Velocult has this product called "Chain-L". One application should get you miles of lubed happiness. I haven't personally tried it on my whip yet, but some friends of mine swear by it.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/volta
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain makes noise...   Chain makes noise... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chain makes noise...
Page 1 of 1