Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Casbah
n00b
n00b
Casbah

Seller Positive Feedback : 0

So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Empty
PostSubject: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime12/23/2010, 8:47 am

You'll have to forgive me I'm still a noob. I'd like to cover up the bottle cage holes or bosses, whatever you call em. Should I bondo over em and sand? Curious if any of you have done this, if so how did you do it?

Also, I'd like to remove the chain stay.. Think that's what it's called.. The previous owner removed the cable guides on the top tube so I assume this will be just as easy with my dremel tool is there anything to watch out for here?

It's this thing..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Once again, my apologies if this is a stupid question.. Just want to make sure.

I'm going with flat black in case anybodies interested. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

Seller Positive Feedback : 6

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime12/24/2010, 12:35 am

I would persoanlly leave that frame alone. Its a conversion. Around here anyways, powder coating cost more than that frame is worth. I'd save the money for a real track/fixed gear frame.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dirtybobbysbikes
Casbah
n00b
n00b
Casbah

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime12/24/2010, 5:03 am

I've got a dude that'll do it for 45 bucks though.. Is that a bad price?

Edit: Also forgot to add that it's a local guy right up the road, no shipping involved.

I wasn't asking whether or not anybody thought it was worth it. Money's not the issue. Wink
Back to top Go down
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime12/24/2010, 7:11 am

$45 is cheap. Here our local powder coater charges about $150. You'd be a fool to spend that much powder coating a conversion. If moneys not an issue why not upgrade to a proper frame?
Back to top Go down
Casbah
n00b
n00b
Casbah

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime12/24/2010, 9:24 am

This frame's fine for me.. Also, I commute to work in old east Dallas.. Bike theft is a supreme bitch out here.. I'd hate to spend 500 bucks or so on a bike and find it gone after a shitty day at work. Otherwise I'd be rolling on a Cinelli Mash!

I can get special pricing via my brother(works at a LBS).. He's on the lookout for something nicer for me..
Back to top Go down
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime12/24/2010, 2:47 pm

I work at my LBS here in the SF bay area, I know all about bike theft. I wouldn't wanna pay to powdercoat a bike that I knew could get stolen, I'd just rattle can, maybe even very poorly if you want it to not be appealing. I wouldn't get a MASH either, but that's just me. A standard vigorelli is way cooler than a MASH IMO. I have coworkers with both frames spec'd very nicely and given the choice I'd rock the standard vig. Not that I'm about to buy a cinelli or anything, I'm going a different route with my next build.
Back to top Go down
Casbah
n00b
n00b
Casbah

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime1/1/2011, 10:53 am

What direction are you gonna go in?

The thing that sucks for me is my bro's store isn't a Cinelli dealer.. The vigorelli looks nice and if I saved for a few months I could get the frame.. They're an FBM dealer though, so I could get a Sword.. But I probably won't. I'm cheap..

My brother left tons of stuff in my mother's garage, lots of downhill and mountain bike parts.. I was thinking about building a mutant fixed gear one of these days.. Looking for a cheap old school looking mountain bike frame..

Lab Metal should be here in a few days.. Then it's out to Garland for the powdercoating. And more pics if anybody cares.
Back to top Go down
punkbrad
punkbrad

Seller Positive Feedback : 11

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime1/2/2011, 7:53 am

you can grind off that cable cup. "chain stay" is the part of the frame that the cable cup is attached to. just dremmel it off, or better yet, leave it, its a conversion - thats what its all about, just take the old and make it different.

that frame looks dope, i woudl elave it alone and just ride it!
Back to top Go down
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime1/3/2011, 12:55 am

My next build is gonna involve a lot of carbon fiber. I've got some other things I gotta do before I can start dumping money into that. Soon enough.
Back to top Go down
ilikegirls
n00b
n00b
ilikegirls

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 12:07 pm

Conversions arent worth powder coating
Back to top Go down
Casbah
n00b
n00b
Casbah

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime1/25/2011, 11:01 pm

ilikegirls wrote:

Oh, ok.

Any hew, I just got done touching up some of the blemishes and filling in the bottle cage holes with Lab Metal. The seat tube was a piece of cake however the down tube was trickier and some of it leaked into the tube. I think it should be fine but I'm concerned about it becoming fragmented in there and then getting into the bottom bracket. The stuff is tough and should hold up in there but who knows. Should I worry about this?

Edit: Doesn't look too bad inside the seat tube so I'm less worried.

I found an 80's Raleigh road bike in my grandparents attic so if this fails all the parts will just go on it.
Back to top Go down
rocferd
Lurker
Lurker
rocferd

Seller Positive Feedback : -1

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime3/5/2011, 7:54 am

Casbah wrote:
ilikegirls wrote:

Oh, ok.

Any hew, I just got done touching up some of the blemishes and filling in the bottle cage holes with Lab Metal. The seat tube was a piece of cake however the down tube was trickier and some of it leaked into the tube. I think it should be fine but I'm concerned about it becoming fragmented in there and then getting into the bottom bracket. The stuff is tough and should hold up in there but who knows. Should I worry about this?

Edit: Doesn't look too bad inside the seat tube so I'm less worried.

I found an 80's Raleigh road bike in my grandparents attic so if this fails all the parts will just go on it.

What's up with the further pics? How's the progress going on this?
Back to top Go down
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime3/5/2011, 11:41 am

Yes what he said.
Back to top Go down
Casbah
n00b
n00b
Casbah

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime3/8/2011, 3:55 pm

Hey guys, I still have the frame sitting around, I'm gonna rattle can it and the stock fork soon.. Until then this things on hold..

I started putting together a new bike.. I'll start a thread for it once I at least get my front wheel built..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating   So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I'm prepping my conversion for powdercoating
Page 1 of 1