Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mattamatta
Leader
Leader
mattamatta

Seller Positive Feedback : 1

Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack! Empty
PostSubject: Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack!   Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 2:27 am

After racing on Friday night, I found that you can quickly remove a roof rack just by driving into a too-low parking garage with the bike still on it!

I knew I was going to do that one of these days, it's just so easy to slip up once and forget that you have to break your normal habit of coming home and parking in the normal spot. I typically will park on the street and then bring the bike to/from the aparment first.

The whole thing came off in one piece, slipped right off and fell backward. Apparently the hanging bar that denotes the max height grabbed the bike by the saddle and pulled the bike, carriers, and rack off cleanly.

Everything looks all right - just a couple light scratches on the car, chrome piping dented in a place or two. Even the clips from the rack don't look too bad off, they may not even have been bent past their elastic limits.

I am wondering if my fork is bent backward now, though, although from the way it was pulled off, I'd think it would have been bent forward if at all. The stock pictures online look a little more forward than mine, but comparing it to older pictuers of my bike looks the same. Seems to handle the same. There seems to be a lot of toe overlap, but I had toe overlap before, and I'm not sure if there's a little bit more now or not. Maybe I can check it out when in position on the rails at the track tonight, see if it seems different when getting balanced on the bike.

All in all, it was a pretty interesting event. I haven't tried to put the rack back on yet - I figure I'll give the car a good wash first. Luckily it wasn't a brand new or immaculate car or anything, so a couple small dings don't mean much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mattthayer.com
Paulo
Paulo

Seller Positive Feedback : 4

PostSubject: Re: Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack!   Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 2:44 am

Ouch! I hope all your stuff is ok (especially the fork).
Back to top Go down
http://paulodelacruz.tumblr.com
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

Seller Positive Feedback : 10

PostSubject: Re: Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack!   Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 4:28 am

WOW! thats insane! this thread is useless without pictures Very Happy

Nice to know the thing grabbed your bike better than having it fall on the car. That would be bad news written all over it
Back to top Go down
https://fixies.forumotion.com
mattamatta
Leader
Leader
mattamatta

Seller Positive Feedback : 1

PostSubject: Re: Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack!   Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 6:34 am

I'll be honest, the first thing that went through my head after realizing what caused the noise was thoughts of a brand new Felt TK2 frameset Wink I guess it's fortunate I don't need one, though, as the wallet would definitely feel that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mattthayer.com
punkbrad
punkbrad

Seller Positive Feedback : 11

PostSubject: Re: Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack!   Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 8:04 am

lemons into lemonaide - new frame time1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack!   Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Found a quick way to remove a car roof rack!
Page 1 of 1