Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

cog and lockring slippage

Go down 
+5
paulmitchel
mattamatta
Paulo
Admin
cementsurfer
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cementsurfer
n00b
n00b
cementsurfer

Seller Positive Feedback : 0

cog and lockring slippage Empty
PostSubject: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime4/11/2010, 1:40 pm

So, I have a brand new rear weinman dp18, I put on the cog and the lockring and after skidding and wheeling a couple times the cog slips back and forth...do i just need to tighten my lock ring down tighter? any suggestions would be great
Back to top Go down
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

Seller Positive Feedback : 10

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime4/11/2010, 2:26 pm

Yes you need to tighten it after riding. Hand tightening the cog does not work you would either need to ride on it or try and tighten it with a chain whip tool. So yeah ride again without skidding and tighten the lock ring. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://fixies.forumotion.com
Paulo
Paulo

Seller Positive Feedback : 4

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime4/11/2010, 3:09 pm

I suggest riding up a hill with a lockring tool. When you get to the top, tighten your lockring.
Back to top Go down
http://paulodelacruz.tumblr.com
cementsurfer
n00b
n00b
cementsurfer

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 4:24 am

has any one ever used any kind of thread glue on their cog? good idea bad idea?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 4:27 am

bad idea. Just keep it the safe way. Thread glue is mainly used for cars (as I use it for the nuts on the exhaust manifold)
Back to top Go down
mattamatta
Leader
Leader
mattamatta

Seller Positive Feedback : 1

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 6:29 am

If anyone ever does locktite a suicide hub, make sure you do it right. Do your research and understand the risks. Make sure to use the right stuff (I hear something about red locktite being the right kind, but make sure to research and ask people who know better), and make sure to let it cure properly - I've read that a lot of people skip that step and put themselves (and others!) in danger.

Better yet, get a dirt cheap track hub with proper provisions for a reverse-threaded lock ring. simple, safe, more versatile, and cooler looking.

But if you're going to do it anyway, I say again - do your research, do it right, and understand and accept the risks. (And use brakes).
Back to top Go down
http://www.mattthayer.com
paulmitchel
paulmitchel

Seller Positive Feedback : 4

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime4/27/2010, 1:43 am

i use to rock a suicide hub on a beater bike of mine..... locktite failed and lets just say it was either head on a car or the curb. i choose the curb, still lost
Back to top Go down
punkbrad
punkbrad

Seller Positive Feedback : 11

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime4/27/2010, 9:27 pm

Good choice Paul - bad outcome but coulda been worse..

I jsut picked up a shimano whip / lockring tool. it was pricey but it goes with me in my backpack and i always need to tighten the cog. its just part of regualr maintenace now..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
biz 1904
Lurker
Lurker
biz 1904

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime5/7/2010, 10:22 am

loctite 454 on the cog and lockring threads should help hold it down
Back to top Go down
corenz417
n00b
n00b
corenz417

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime5/13/2010, 3:07 pm

liquid metal seems to be doing the job for me, although im still terrified of my cog coming loose going down a hill haha.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime5/14/2010, 1:17 am

corenz417 wrote:
liquid metal seems to be doing the job for me, although im still terrified of my cog coming loose going down a hill haha.

Yeah I would be terrified too! pirat
Back to top Go down
kevinwybc
n00b
n00b
kevinwybc

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 5:47 pm

rotofix! then tighten your lock ring.... or a chain whip....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cog and lockring slippage   cog and lockring slippage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cog and lockring slippage
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Fixed Forums :: Modifications-
Jump to: