Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in

Go down 
+5
sean
andr3
jeffshmeff
mattamatta
Admin
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Host
Host
Admin

Seller Positive Feedback : 10

Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Empty
PostSubject: Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in   Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 3:33 am

Good luck trying to push it in. Put some hand sanitizer in the grips! Twist it in! Wa lah! Or you can use hairspray but I don't use that stuff. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://fixies.forumotion.com
mattamatta
Leader
Leader
mattamatta

Seller Positive Feedback : 1

PostSubject: Re: Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in   Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 6:20 am

I used water and zip ties. Worked well.

I found a thread on some old vintage bmx forum about the zip ties. They stuffed them in around all the sides so that the zip ties slide along the bars instead of the grip sliding along the bars. Then you use some pliers or your hands to pull them out. I tried that and ended up still using some water.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mattthayer.com
jeffshmeff
Guru
Guru
jeffshmeff

Seller Positive Feedback : 4

PostSubject: Re: Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in   Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 7:11 am

mattamatta wrote:
I used water and zip ties. Worked well.

I found a thread on some old vintage bmx forum about the zip ties. They stuffed them in around all the sides so that the zip ties slide along the bars instead of the grip sliding along the bars. Then you use some pliers or your hands to pull them out. I tried that and ended up still using some water.

The zip tie idea isn't a bad one. I hate using water or hairspray because I have to wait until they dry.
Back to top Go down
jeffshmeff
Guru
Guru
jeffshmeff

PostSubject: Re: Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in   Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 7:11 am

Do you guys know any tricks to take handlebar grips OFF without damaging the grips or the bars?
Back to top Go down
andr3
andr3

Seller Positive Feedback : 0

PostSubject: Re: Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in   Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 7:44 am

jeffshmeff wrote:
Do you guys know any tricks to take handlebar grips OFF without damaging the grips or the bars?

Roll'em off.

It's pretty much like turning them inside out, and then just roll'em back once they're off. Works for me all the time..

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
sean
n00b
n00b
sean

PostSubject: Re: Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in   Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 1:29 pm

I use rubbing alcohol to install or remove grips.

Just dampen a towel with your run of the mill rubbing alcohol, wipe it on the bars quickly throw the grips on there. To remove grips, just peel them back a tad and pour a bit of alcohol in there and work them off.

It dries faster than water, and the idea of using hairspray turns me off Shocked.
Back to top Go down
paulmitchel
paulmitchel

PostSubject: Re: Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in   Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Icon_minitime3/28/2010, 11:09 pm

jeffshmeff wrote:

at shops they use their high pressure airpumps and stick the valve and release.

i use simply green and twist pull.

as for putting on the grips. i do the hairspray method... dawny wrinkle spray now, if you did it right it only should take five miuntes to dry.
Back to top Go down
DirtyBobbysBikes
Leader
Leader
DirtyBobbysBikes

Seller Positive Feedback : 6

PostSubject: Re: Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in   Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Icon_minitime5/1/2010, 10:13 am

An air compressor is a beautiful thing.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dirtybobbysbikes
punkbrad
punkbrad

Seller Positive Feedback : 11

PostSubject: Re: Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in   Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Icon_minitime5/4/2010, 12:28 pm

sean wrote:
I use rubbing alcohol to install or remove grips.

Just dampen a towel with your run of the mill rubbing alcohol, wipe it on the bars quickly throw the grips on there. To remove grips, just peel them back a tad and pour a bit of alcohol in there and work them off.

It dries faster than water, and the idea of using hairspray turns me off Shocked.

i have always used hairspray, but since i dont have any in the casa - i used the rubbing alcohol method - it worked beautifully.

+1 for the good tip. went on fast, dried fast, holds fast.

PB.
Back to top Go down
roadfiend
n00b
n00b
roadfiend

PostSubject: i just use dust off   Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 3:40 pm

just stick the little tube that comes with it between the grips and bars and pull them off while letting the air in, it works great
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in   Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tips on: Putting handle bar grips in
Page 1 of 1